Do You Remember When…?
With all of today's progress and innovation, don't you just wish, just once, that you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace, and share it with the children of today?
A huge benefit to living in Bent Tree is the atmosphere and pace of life. It’s reminiscent of days long gone when it took five minutes for the TV to warm up, when nobody owned a purebred dog, and when a quarter was a decent allowance.
Let us take you back in time – here are a few things that may sound familiar from the “good ol’ days.”
- All the girls had ugly gym uniforms.
- Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school.
- You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.
- The girls wore nylons (a.k.a. pantyhose) that came in two pieces.
- All your male teachers wore neckties, and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore dresses.
- You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped without asking, all for free, every time. And you didn't pay for air, and, you got trading stamps to boot!
- Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes, or towels hidden inside the box.
- It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.
- They threatened to hold kids back a grade if you failed. . . and they did it!
- When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races.
- People went steady.
- No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked.
- You’d lie on your back in the grass with your friends and say things like, 'That cloud looks like a... '
- Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger.
- When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to telling your mom and dad what happened.
- When summers were filled with bike rides, baseball games, Hula Hoops, bowling and visits to the pool, and eating Kool-Aid powdered with sugar.
Now, didn't that feel good… … just remembering all that! Imagine if you could live it again – you can get close at Bent Tree. Want to reminisce a little more? Read on…
How Many of These Do You Remember?
- Nancy Drew
- The Hardy Boys
- Sky King
- Howdy and Double Doody
- The Peanut Gallery
- The Lone Ranger
- The Shadow Knows
- Nellie Bell
- The Rebel
- Candy cigarettes
- Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside
- Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
- Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
- Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum
- Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
- Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Robert 4-601)
- Party lines
- Pea shooters
- Hi-Fis & 45 RPM records
- 78 RPM records
- Green Stamps
- Mimeograph paper
- The Fort Apache play set
- Sergeant O’Hara
- No telephone in your room, let alone a cell
- Paper routes
- Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut
- Movies didn’t have ratings
- Butch wax and bryl cream (a little dab will do ya)
- Blue flashbulbs
If you’re still with us, Bent Tree is definitely the place for you. Do you remember a time when…
- decisions were made by playing “eeny-meeny-miney-moe”?
- mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, “do over!”?
- “race issue” meant arguing about who ran the fastest?
- catching fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?
- it wasn't odd to have two or three “best friends”?
- Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?
- spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?
- baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?
- water balloons were the ultimate weapon?
- there was no such thing as fast food? They were called drive-ins; you could eat in the car but it still wasn’t fast.
- some parents never owned their own house, played golf, traveled out of the country, or even had a credit card?
If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!